Hello again, time for another blog.
I’ve seen on a couple of other people’s blogs that the cold weather this week past has given them trouble. Thankfully although plagued by a chilly wind, we had no frost so everything has remained alive hooray. The memories of a late frost a few years back which killed my grape vine still haunts me!
Anyway, so after another bone dry week, I spent a good hour watering everything this morning. It’s damn hard work with a watering can but I prefer it to the hose this time of year as I like to feed certain plants and not feed others.
Whilst watering our new strawberries (being grown in tubs whilst we consider where they’ll actually go), I spotted that we have fruit!-
A couple of weeks and they’ll be ready. Elsewhere on the fruit front, the pink currant we put in about four years ago and which has been close to being removed each winter due to lack of productivity had bucked it’s ideas up this year and is flourishing-
I’m not sure how easy it is to see on my photo, but it’s loaded with currants.
We also definitely have Tickled Pink apples coming on our new tree-
I’ve seen some debate about whether you should remove the first year’s fruit in order to allow the tree to focus on it’s root system instead, but I prefer to keep them on then eat them! I’ve not had any issues doing that with every tree we have so i’ll definitely continue doing that,
All the other fruit trees, in particular our fantastic cherries are literally smothered in baby fruits so i’m hoping we’ll get a bumper crop this year.
Elsewhere, the blackberry is now starting to flower-
It is without doubt my favourite allotment plant. It was so tiny when we got it, it had to have a little fleece jacket on and now it’s a magnificent specimen that gives us a huge crop of the tastiest blackberries imaginable year after year after year. As an aside, the netted structure directly behind the bush is our new allotment neighbour copying us and putting up a fruit cage. However, unlike us, he hasn’t concreted the supporting posts in which he will unfortunately find isn’t wise on such a windy site. I have tried telling him but I believe he’s Russian and neither his English, nor my Slavonic language skills are sufficient enough to get across what I was trying to say. Sign language hasn’t helped either! Still he seems a friendly chap, very keen and hard working. Hopefully he’ll stay a long time and make a success of it.
Finally on the fruiting developments, here is our first orange blossom of the year-
Not the greatest of photos but hopefully we’ll have some nice oranges again off the tree. It’s one third of a citrus trio consisting of it, a Yuzu and a lemon tree, but is the only one to have ever fruited. The lemon has never really come to anything and it’s a challenge just keeping it alive, but a challenge we’ll keep facing until we have success.
Away from the fruit, all six potato rows are through and powering away now. About a month and we can start digging the Arran Pilot. I’ve also now planted out all our beans, one runner and two French varieties and the broad beans I planted a while ago have now been uncovered and although looking a little squashed from the cloche are all looking healthy and strong.
It won’t be too much longer now until I start filling my greenhouse, but that’ll have to wait until another blog.
Until then, stay safe and happy growing!